Call For A Free Consultation(847) 220-1560

Law Offices of Mary Kennedy

The B-1 or B-2 visas are visitor visas. B-1 is for business purposes and B-2 is used for other visitor purposes. If someone is planning on visiting the US for a business activity, such as a conference for their job or company, then they can come on a B-1 business visa. B-2 visas are mainly used for pleasure, which means the petitioner is coming to the United States temporarily for leisurely purposes.

How Long Can I Stay In The United States on A B-1 Or B-2 Visa?

The maximum period that is allowed on a B-1 or B-2 visa is six months or 180 days. When you enter into the port of entry for the first time, an officer will interview you ask you about the purpose of your visit. The officer will then stamp your passport with an I-94 expiry date with a maximum of six months. In very limited situations, you can apply for an extension on a B-1 or B-2 visa. You will have to provide elaborate reasons as to why you want to extend your stay. If approved, the maximum stay is 12 months.

What Conditions Must I Abide By If Granted A B-1 Visa?

If you are granted a B-1 or B-2 visa, you can only travel for the purpose of pleasure or a business activity. You are not eligible to work. If you are visiting family in the United States, you cannot work or obtain employment.

What Documents Do I Need To Submit For A B-2 Visa?

To apply for a B-2 visa, you will need to provide substantial proof or strong ties to your home country. That has to be established. The officer assumes that a person who is coming on a B-2 or B-1 visa does not have an intent to immigrate to the United States. Therefore, the petitioner has to prove that they have very strong ties to their home country. They do not intend to immigrate to the United States. The purpose of their stay is temporary. For that reason, it is essential to provide enough documents showing their ties to their home country, such as employment. A couple can show that they have minor kids to return to in their home county. Or, if they have a business, that can be good evidence that they have strong ties to their home country. All of those reasons have to be proven by the applicant when they apply for a visa.

One more important criteria that an applicant has to substantiate is financial support. They have to be able to support themselves financially while in the United States since they are not eligible to work. They have to show how they are going to cover their expenses, such as shelter, air tickets, food expenses, and other travel costs. They have to demonstrate the ability to spend so that they won’t be a burden on the government.

An applicant can be supported by a sponsor. The sponsor can provide their bank statement to show that the applicant will be financially supported. However, either one of them can prove their financial ability.

Does The Visitor’s Intent Affect The Application Process?

The intent of the visitor applicant is very important when it comes to the B-1 or B-2 visa. That’s the whole purpose of the interview with the officer. The officer’s job is to find out the intent of the applicant. Therefore, you have to be very clear about your travel itinerary and purpose. That has to be clearly spoken to the officer in order to become eligible and approved. Once approved, the visa is valid for 10 years. You can come back any time within that 10-year time period, even though the limitation is 180 days per visit. Therefore, we highly advise our clients to be very specific in terms of their intent and ties to their home country.

For more information on B-1 And B-2 Visas For Business & Tourism, an initial consultation is your best next step. Get the information and legal answers you’re seeking by calling (847) 780-2880 today.

Mary Kennedy, Esq.

Call For A Free Consultation
(847) 220-1560

We Serve Clients Throughout United States. Call For A Free Consultation
(847) 780-2880